Sunday, October 24, 2010

Angel Food Cake Anyway You Want


Pretend I am Mrs. Bale from As Time Goes By and check the weather forecast.
Quickly ascertain small window of opportunity before rain arrives and foils 
Angel Food Cake making.
Set out  ingredients according to Rose's Heavenly Cakes Basic Angel Food Cake recipe.  Scratch head and mutter 0.22 ounces of flour doesn't seem like enough but Rose knows best.  Continue measuring out minuscule mis en place before light bulb goes off.  Marie. Math.  Toss mis en place and start again or get out the Easy Bake Oven.

Deduct points.


Ancient angel food cake pan


Relic from the 1950's-angel food cake batter folder 


Antique beer bottle


Ask hubby if he would mind going to the store, yet again, for lemons?



Every frozen egg white in the freezer


Angel Food Cake Mantra
Please don't fall out of the pan. Please don't fall out of the pan.  Please don't fall out of the pan. 
  Have parchment paper ready for Plan B Trifle if it falls out of the pan.


Do a happy dance of joy it didn't fall out of the pan PLUS came out in one piece.
Five bonus points.


Take serrated knife and slice into something resembling three layers.
Try not to notice air bubbles.


Exercise a modicum amount of willpower and refrain from devouring lemon filling.  Slather onto two layers with finger pointing silicone spatula.


Pretend the layers match up.


Spackle whipping cream  over entire cake.
No such thing as too much whipping cream.


                                                                        
The most amazing angel food cake ever.  EVER.  I am humbled by the awesomeness of Rose's Basic Angel Food Cake recipe.  Exquisite.  It has gone straight to the top of the favorite list, even by those who professed not to like Angel Food Cake.

--------------------------

Lemon Cream Filling from Heaven Only Knows Where ie Mom's Recipe Box
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon salt

Combine sugar and cornstarch in small pan.  Gradually stir in water; cook and stir over medium heat until thick and smooth.  Remove from heat.  Add egg yolks and blend well.  Add butter, lemon juice, zest and salt.  Cook and stir one minute or until thickened and smooth.  Chill and stir before spreading on cake.

23 comments:

  1. How COOL is that batter folder! WOW!


    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Vicki! I'm glad it didn't fall out of the pan. What a great idea to pair this cake with a lemon filling. Funny, the first time I read the recipe, I too thought, that's not a lot of flour or chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki! you crack me up and I want that relic angle food batter folder thing-y I pass this one up - Angel Food is not my cup of tea, but I did do a dessert, so you will see what I replace it with tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Lemon curd and angel food! Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ב''ה

    Looks delicious! Love the batter folder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you layered the angel food cake! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I have never tried to bake my own angel food cake. Hmmm . . .

    I did want to tell you I made a pretty good pie crust this weekend.
    Not perfect. But edible.

    Yes. From scratch.
    Taylor (lumberjack's wife)

    I am quite proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your finger pointing spatula! the thought of baking tiny little angel food cakes in the easy bake oven had me laughing. your cake looks delicious with the lemon filling and the whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT ANGEL FOOD FOLDER???????? I NEED ONE!!!

    Love your angel food cake mantra... and "pretend layers match up".... and spackle whip cream :)

    Beautiful finished cake - perfection!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your reply Vicki. It figures your angel food cake folder was your grandmothers. I've been looking for one for years and years. The minute I find one, I'm going to buy it, no questions asked!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Vicki, I could just kiss you!! Thanks for the link!!

    :)
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post to read and a delicious looking cake. You lifted the angel food cake above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cake looks perfect. Actually I had thought of using one of those Chinese spiders to fold with. I find the huge balloon very cumbersome in the 5 qt bowl, and the skimmer isn't very good either, so think I will get one and try it for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you tell if yours is stainless or aluminum?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vicki, this has gotta be your funniest post! I love the picture storytelling. Great idea of splitting the cake in 3 layers with the lemon filling in between. Your cake looks perfect. Can I have a piece?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful and PERFECT angel food cake! The lemon filling (my all time favorite) and the whipped cream icing look amazing. I am not an angel food cake person and I would make this cake the exact way you did, YUM!

    BTW, I can not imagine telling a bread bakery they had to install down vents, so many people must be missing that smell of fresh baked bread.

    I also apoligize for getting back to you so slow this time BUT I just started a new job (after looking for one for over 10 months). I am exhausted =), but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have fallen in love with that folder as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cake looks delicious, my mouth is watering!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAHA! Love this post, and while I adore the spoon, I really, really like the beer bottle! That being said, Wranglers loves Angel Food Cake, so I'll be tryin' this out on him.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Vicki - my "vintage spoon server thingy" is on it's way... and it was less than 5 bucks. Don't know why I didn't think of ebay before - thanks so much!!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've had an "angel food cake folder" for decades and didn't know it was called that or that it was mentioned in Rose Levy Beranbaum's book! I got it as a bonus with a subscription to an English magazine about 30 years ago when I was just a slip of a girl, and I believe the magazine called it simply a cake whisk. Everyone who notices it in my kitchen (I use it a LOT) asks where they can get one, but I've never found a source for one. I just put up a blog post with a picture of it, and a reader in Wales pointed me to Rose's book. And that is how I found your blog! Do take a look at my whisk photo and leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete