Sunday, August 29, 2010

Chocolate Layer Cake with Caramel Ganache




Chocolate Layer Cake with Caramel Ganache is a light cake with a deliciously rich topping.  This was an easy cake to make from Rose's Heavenly Cakes. The ganache sounded tricky but it really wasn't difficult.  The moment the hot cream sputtered furiously when poured into the boiling sugar mixture made me very happy.  I was delirious to be in the ganache zone instead of a rock candy science experiment gone bad.


This inadvertently became a Green & Blacks chocolate cake.  I haven't a clue how the math works out combining the 70% and 85% but it tasted great, which is what counts.  I turned it out of the pan immediately to cool rather than leave it in the pan. This seems to help me keep chocolate cakes from being dry.

I used less than half the ganache, leaving the sides unfrosted and paired the cake with creme brulee ice cream. The chocolate is exquisite with the faint caramel undertone. Everyone liked it.  Next time, however, I'm pouring the caramel cream over the cake without adding chocolate.  It was tasty stuff!

8 comments:

  1. Wow..looks heavenly with that scoop of ice-cream! I haven't had cake in a while....quite a long while actually..cos i haven't been baking.:) I've seen Green & Black's at our supermart and i wonder if it is good..looking at yours, perhaps i should try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. only half the ganache? but that was the best part! (i have some stashed in my freezer too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creme Brulee icecream? I wish I was at your house.

    I used all the ganache on my version - mainly because I needed it to cement the faffing cake back together after it split into nearly three pieces (six once I sliced the cake in half!).

    Will probably kill my dinner guests with chocolate overload. Must remember to serve with lots of icecream - sadly not Creme brulee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Vicki and I love Green and Blacks chocolate. I could eat it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to second Nicola comments - I'm digging your Ice cream choice. And I'm hearing great things about the G&B chocolate product, seen it as well in my supermarket... time to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creme Brulee ice cream with this cake sounds like heaven! YUM! Your cake with the caramel ganache looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ב''ה

    Looks great with the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake looks great and the ice cream makes it even better. I love creme brule anything in fact that is what I named the color of my VW Bug.

    ReplyDelete