Sunday, December 4, 2016

Brandy Snap Cannoli


All I can say is they are finished.
I've been dreading these 
but there was no hiding putting
it off any longer.
It was the last recipe I had to catch up
with the Alpha Bakers.

It was the multiple steps
and pages of instructions
that I dreaded
but I never thought 
this would happen.


All the little two inch circles 
ran a muck, revolted,
joined forces
and turned into a giant blob.

I just cut them into rectangles
and carried on
rather than chuck the entire
thing,
because I wasn't starting again.

Making the pastry cream
and marscapone mixture
wasn't difficult,
just time consuming.
I had my doubts about cooking
the dried fruit but honestly,
once the rum (out of Bourbon)
and orange zest was
added, it escalated to an
entirely new dimension.

And this is where I could have 
easily stopped 
doling the
lovely creamy wonder
into pudding dishes instead.

But I stuffed the cannoli
and finished the ends
with toasted pistachios. 


What this has done 
is make me want to make
the fried dough Italian version
with Rose's filling.
~
by
Rose Levy Beranbaum










1 comment:

  1. I had a blob problem too. It made me want to avoid cannoli for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete