Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chocolate Genoise with Peanut Butter Whipped Ganache


Chocolate Genoise from Rose's Heavenly Cakes is ultra light and moist. Frosted with Peanut Butter Whipped Ganache and layered with black raspberry, it is a pretty fantastic combination. The peanut butter is a slight background flavor that enhances the chocolate and raspberry.  No one could define exactly what it was.

I used Lindt 70% dark chocolate mixed with Lindt Milk Chocolate for the ganache, Green & Blacks cocoa powder for the genoise and Valrohona chocolate pearls for garnish.

Rose uses Chambord to make a simple syrup for moistening the layers. I could not see spending twenty five dollars for two tablespoons worth of Chambord.  If I find a smaller bottle, I'll be tempted to try it.  For now, Dickinson's  Seedless Black Raspberry Jam fit the bill perfectly.  Thinned with a bit of hot water, it painted easily over the split cake.  So excited this substitution worked, I forgot to put the ganache between the two layers! Sprinkled with a few Valrohna pearls and drizzled with black raspberry syrup, it's never going to last long enough for the requisite night's rest.


8 comments:

  1. Vicki, thank you for the tip on the black raspberry jam substitution. The Chambord has held me back from making this delicious-sounding cake. Your's looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ב''ה

    Like that top picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the drippings of the jam! Oh..yes..i too have the chocolate pearls and i forgotten all about it! LOL! I wonder if can use Ribena as substitute..cos the raspberry liquor tasted really like the Ribena except it has a bit of liquor in it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. the black raspberry syrup is a nice touch. that's interesting you found the peanut butter flavor to be slight; it was very present and in the forefront for me (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki, your cake looks yummy! Love the slice picture with the jam drizzling.

    Btw, Chambord is available in small (1 shot) bottles. If you can find it, it's really worth it. I'm not a big fan of it by itself, but with this cake it taste grand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea with the jam! If you have a Total Wine nearby, they carry mini-bottles.

    If you email me your address, Vicki, I'd like you send you some mesquite flour. I'd love to see what you'd create with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. there are chambord mini bottles!? i've been looking at the liquor stores up here but haven't found any. vicki, i was thinking maybe the quality of the chocolate affects the assertiveness of the peanut butter? just a guess, especially since i can't remember what chocolate i used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful cake, Vicki. It looks so moist!! I'm glad the jam + hot water trick worked. That's what I was going to do but I ran out of time this week.

    ReplyDelete