Monday, November 15, 2010

Apple-Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake


So many cakes, so little time, in Rose's Heavenly Cakes.  Each free choice week with the Heavenly Cake Bakers leaves me in such a quandary.  Reading from the list of cakes I've yet to make, it is difficult to choose.  Each one sounds as good as the next.  The family is still clamoring for the infamous Bostini but I was on chocolate overload after attending an incredible seminar given by Ginger Elizabeth, Dark vs Dark Chocolate Tasting.  Not only was it educational in all things chocolate, but if there is such a thing as chocolate nirvana, that was it. Ginger just won a very prestigious top ten chocolate ranking but I can't read my own note writing, so enraptured with tasting her Creme Fraiche truffle.  For a finale, she passed around her Truffle Cookies, then generously gave out the recipe.

This simple apple cake was the perfect counterbalance for a day of chocolate nibbling.

I made more mistakes with this easy little cake than I have in quite awhile.  I divided the batter into the pan wrong.  I found a leftover half cup of crumb topping.  And literally, to top it off, I put the crumb topping on too soon.  No matter.  It turned out deliciously.  Lovely cake for this time of year.

9 comments:

  1. I was going to make this one too! I plan on getting to it soon. Your cake looks great!

    Truffle Cookie!!!??!! What was that like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes perfect for fall! Glad you love this cake - with all the 'errors' you mentioned it looked really lovely Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great pick for this time of year. I was thinking apples too, as in apple upside down cake. Hopefully I'll get it to this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes tell us more about those truffle cookies! sounds like a great class, and your cake looks good too. but back to those truffle cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this would help get over the chocolate overload, if that is where you want to be. Your cake looks great! I agree with the "evil cake lady" please more about those truffle cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's it. This cookbook will go on my Christmas wish list. The cake looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake was a big hit with my family and friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake looks and sounds wonderful. I think i will have to try making this one. And I'm all for hearing more about the truffle cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The crust on your cake looks delightful--problems or not. I might have to make this this morning. Yum!

    ReplyDelete