Tuesday, March 15, 2011

DUI Chocolate Midnight Cake

This is one potent cake.  The dried cherries soaked up the cognac and turned into plump little boozy things.  It all works with the dark chocolate but my heavens!
Photobucket

I made two single layers and sliced both.  On one I spread strawberry jam for the kids, the other cherry/cognac elixir.  I then slathered on ganache.  The frosting was over powering so I opted to frost only the tops.  The cherries were too big after sitting overnight in the cognac.  A spin in the mini food processor fixed that.  I spooned the cherries over the top of the cake.   They immediately sank into the ganache.

This cake  is quite decadent.  It's the kind of cake to wow dinner party guests.
Photobucket

I would like to say the batter before adding the chocolate was amazing.  And the ganache before adding the cocoa powder and water mixture was spectacular.  If it's possible to use these flavors as a cake and anyone knows how to adjust the recipe, please let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Vicki, your heading made me laugh out so loudly!! You are so funny and witty! I want a slice of that please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catchy title, Vicki! I like the idea of mincing up the cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, I too laughed at the title. How funny is that! Glad to hear you loved the cakes. Interesting thought of wanting the flavor for both cake and ganache - pre chocolate. I wonder if you can sub the chocolate mixture in the cake with some sour cream. Care to experiment? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like everyone here, love the title as well.. made me laugh, because yep, this cake can get you in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made the cake and just haven't blog about it yet. Yours looks and sounds just as delicious and potent. I shared with co-workers and I think they were trying to dig for cherries when I wasn't looking.

    ReplyDelete