Sunday, April 26, 2015

Lemon Jammies


Cookies have long been treasured in my family.  We always want a little something with our cup of tea.  Simple or fancy, doesn't matter.  

Love creaming butter and sugar 

 There rarely was a day after school that a homemade cookie wasn't waiting for me. If I were to guess, cookies were probably the first thing I was allowed to bake on my own. 

So I wondered, while stirring up Lemon Curd, why we cookie lovers haven't banded together and baked our way through Rose's Christmas Cookies?  Something to look forward to one day.

Simple rolled sugar cookie dough enhanced with lemon juice and zest

These Lemon Jammies couldn't have been simpler to make.  The most arduous task was zesting lemons, and that isn't really arduous at all. 

Dough wrapped for a rest in the frig

Earlier in the morning I made a batch of lemon curd with two lone Meyer lemons waiting to be turned into something special.  I had to laugh when I remembered  the first time making Rose's lemon curd.
Is it going to curdle?
Is this the puddle stage?
How much longer must I stand and stir?
Oh no,  steam!

Rose's lemon curd has turned out beautifully every single time.  Now it is my favorite thing to make.


Time for rolling and cutting out the chilled dough with a biscuit cutter and lopsided heart cookie punch. I swear there's no leftover Vodka in these cookies.


Filled with lemon curd and raspberry preserves.


And the little cut outs are the perfect size for a dolly tea party. 

~~~

recipe in The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum






  

7 comments:

  1. the little hearts are so cute! Is that a vintage round cookie cutter? Ive never seen a metal round cookie cutter like that before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is vintage but not a cookie cutter. It's a biscuit cutter!

      Delete
  2. Lemon curd and raspberry preserves--what a terrific idea! I love your sweet little lopsided hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicki, Kudos on the cookie band. I love the idea. And I'm with you, Rose's lemon curd is extremely delicious. The heart shapes are sweet. BTW, thanks so much for the nice comment you left on my Jammies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your jammies and the resulting little heart cookies are darling! Isn't Rose's curd beautiful? Christmas cookies sounds great. I too, love your cookie cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki: Love your sweet cookies with the little heart shaped cutouts! Note to self: next time make a double batch of these!! They are so delicious, perfect with a cup of tea. (thanks for stopping by my blog, too!) I would love to bake through the Christmas cookies book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna at Simply BakeApril 29, 2015 at 10:52 PM

    Thanks for checking my blog out. Your heart shape cutouts are adorable! We should bake through Rose's Christmas Cookies book. There are so many great recipes in that book. Everyone is commenting on how great Rose's lemon curd is. I need to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete