Thursday, December 30, 2010

Marionberry Crown Cheesecake


Cranberry Crown Cheesecake lost out to Marionberries when I spied them in the freezer at Whole Foods.
The lure of Marionberries was too much, even though 'tis the season for all things cranberry.  And figgy pudding.

I thought about making the Ladyfingers, really I did.  But that would entail me ferreting through a cupboard for the proper piping tip.  I wasn't up to the mental task.  Christmas, I have come to accept, is for the young.  I don't remember taking so long to recover from commando shopping expeditions, marathon wrapping sessions, helping Santa fill stockings in the dead of night only to be awakened by eager children who could barely wait til dawn's early light.  Except there was no light at five a.m.  Just deafening cheers of  "Santa came! Santa came!"  Yes, yes he did.  Unlike the year he may have zealously slept and therefore neglected the filling of stockings.  And Santa has never lived down that year.


The Salvardi Ladyfingers were good little soldiers and lined up cooperatively. The bottom of the pan was lined with the tips and for good measure, an extra layer of crushed cookies.  The cheesecake mixture was probably the easiest cheesecake I've made, especially since I neglected to read the fine print to actually add the sour cream sitting in the refrigerator.


Which may account for the decidedly shallow depth of filling.  Into the oven in a nice warm bain Marie and two hours later a lovely sour creamless cheesecake emerged.   It's always a moment of truth, opening up the foil chanting "Please let it be dry. Please let it be dry."  Could a football touchdown score more enthusiasm than dry foil?  I think not.


 Sorely lacking in patience, the hardest part for me is waiting for something to cool.  Or set.  This was no exception.


There's no way it was going to get a final 24 hour rest in the refrigerator.  We bravely took our chances.  And even without the sour cream, this is one fantastic cheesecake.  Rose really knows cheesecakes.  Every single cheesecake we've made has been fantastic. The marionberries set it off nicely.  Very very nicely.

6 comments:

  1. Looks very nice, even without the sour cream. Happy 2011 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have one bag of marionberries in my freezer--great idea for using them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! I want a slice..maybe i'll bake this tonight..minus the ladies fingers..lol!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheesecake really gets people going, doesn't it. It caused a lot of gasping around here. I always want to tell them that bread is harder, but as per Nigella Lawson I try not to let the cat out of the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ב''ה

    Looks delicious! Love that last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy. Wish i could make that too.
    Windows Server 2008

    ReplyDelete