Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Free Choice #3 Spice Cake with Peanut Buttercream

Photobucket

When my brother was in Cub Scouts, for whatever reason he made Peanut Butter Cupcakes.  I was all of five years old and can still remember it plain as day for two reasons; it was the only time my brother baked anything.  Secondly, peanut butter in cupcakes seemed completely odd to me.  I don't remember eating them.

I like spice cake.  I pretty much like spice anything so I have no idea why it's taken me so long to make this cake.  It's a shame because this is really a nice spice cake, very lightly flavored.  The Peanut Buttercream has such a soft texture with the butter and cream cheese.  I used natural peanut butter and Jif would have been the better choice.  Jif seems to impart more peanut flavor.  It lacked something so I sprinkled a bit of brown sugar over the top which enhanced the flavor.  If memory serves me correctly, Jif has molasses in it.  These would be great made into cupcakes for kids.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Vicki! I read through your blog and put on 25lbs! Please keep it up. Soon I will explode!

    Heya - Long time eh?

    RuEtta

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you've been a baking fool lately! i think this cake was the reason i bought that buttermilk in january, then i never made it. i love the spice cake in the cake bible so i haven't been too in a hurry to try this one. glad to hear you liked the peanut buttercream and spice cake combination. your crumb looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a winning combination. I agree with you about spice cake.

    ReplyDelete