Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Moist Chocolate Raspberry Genoise Frizzby

Photobucket

It started out so well and twelve hours later I had to accept the dismal fact that once again, Genoise bested me.  The Raspberry Ganache turned out perfectly even though I mistakenly melted the chocolate.  What was I thinking?   The Chocolate syrup~no problem.  Mis en place for the Genoise?  Measured, weighed and waiting.  I read Mathew's instructions over and over. Having the desired temperatures listed filled me with confidence. The whipped eggs nearly spilled out of the KitchenAid.  For the first time there was not one flour pellet to be found.

And then it happened.  It was that "slide the chocolate into the egg" part and "beat for one minute".  When I poured the batter into the pans unmixed chocolate made it's presence known.  I tried to mix it into the batter in the cake pan but knew it was futile.  Still, I didn't think it would turn the entire cake into a dense, rubbery mass.  Pulled out of the oven it looked deceptively normal.  Only when it was sliced in half for the syrup brushing did it begin to resemble a frizzby.  I persevered.  For I am nothing if not committed to chocolate.

And this is the sad result.  My daughter remarked that the Raspberry Chocolate Ganache tasted like Godiva raspberry filled seashell chocolates.  In an attempt to disguise it's Mad Hatter appearance, I used the left over chocolate syrup to sweeten whipped cream, which I might add, was rather tasty.  Too bad it didn't help the flubbed genoise.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Awww... sorry to hear. I forgot that Marie's mention of Mathew's instructions and just followed Rose's instructions in the book. I've never had a genoise rise that high (not to rub it in but it was a first for me). I hope you were still able to eat the cake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a witty post! Thanks for the good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find genoise to be a bit on the dry side so I skipped this project. However, I really enjoyed reading your post. The whipped cream top makes me want to reach over and swipe my finger across the top!

    ReplyDelete