Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Touch of Grace Biscuits



If I could choose only one thing my grandmother made
it would be her biscuits with blackberry freezer jam.
It wasn't until years later that I realized she made biscuits just for us
when we came to visit.

So I really wasn't expecting much in the way of measuring up to
childhood memories with these biscuits from The Bread Bible.
I was pleasantly surprised
Light, delicate crumb, perfect flavor
these biscuits are a winner.


Mis en place 
that was very nearly 
Mis out of place

Whilst chatting on the phone with my daughter about the ingredients,
I mentioned yeast.  
What yeast? she inquired.
The yeast in the biscuits said I

Lo and behold I was all prepped and set and bought ingredients for the wrong biscuits.
These biscuits are super easy. The only problem which really didn't turn into a big problem,
was my vintage ice cream scoop holds a much larger portion than I realized.
I didn't have enough to put in the center of the pan which meant they probably weren't 
as high as they could have been.


It was shocking to pull them out of the oven and find burned tops.  I baked them for the lesser time, too.
Probably my oven is off but next time I'll throw a foil tent over the top.  The bottom crust was perfectly browned.


Honestly, I was so surprised by the light texture.  Sometimes biscuits can be dense and heavy.
Not these!


Warm with butter and strawberry jam they were just perfect.
But really, could I go a step further?
Curiosity consumed me.


Yes!
I just knew they would make perfect American style
Strawberry Shortcake.
And they did!
This type of shortcake is usually way too heavy for me
but that never stopped me from enjoying it.
This was the right balance.
Next time I make it specifically for berries
I will add a bit more sugar.





4 comments:

  1. I didn't realise that american shortcake style is made with biscuits. Maybe over here we normally eat scones and biscuits are cookies to us. Your biscuits look fluffy and light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be sending husband to the store for some strawberries!! Brilliant idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Th strawberries are a great idea. I enjoyed mine with ham though and that was delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol - I nearly made the same mistake with the yeast. I think these would be perfect biscuits for strawberry shortcake. They were a little sweet for our taste, but nice and tender. If you get a chance, I'd love it if you stop by to see my post.

    Patricia @ ButterYum
    http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2015/5/15/touch-of-grace-biscuits

    ReplyDelete